What should I do if I smell gas?

If you smell gas call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

Gas safety checks

When in use, gas appliances such as fires, boilers and cookers can release a poisonous gas called carbon monoxide – especially if they are improperly installed or if their condition has deteriorated over time. The Health and Safety Executive has produced a useful guide about gas safety, which you can download here

If you are an owner-occupier, you should consider installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Please contact your local council or a Gas Safe registered engineer for more information. The Co-operative Energy may also be able to provide a Gas Safety Check free of charge if you are in receipt of means tested benefits and any person living at your address is:

  • Under 18
  • Of pensionable age
  • Disabled
  • Chronically sick

Please contact us to check your eligibility.

If you live in rented accommodation then in most cases your landlord is responsible for providing a Gas Safety Certificate showing which appliances have been checked and when your home was last tested.