I’m moving out of a property with a Co-operative Energy prepayment meter. What do I need to do?

When moving out of a property fitted with a prepayment meter supplied by Co-operative Energy, we will need the following information from you:

  • Your forwarding address
  • Date you’re moving out
  • The final readings on the meter

Please send your details to the Moving Home Team through our contact form.

You’ll no longer need your prepayment key/card for the meter at this property, so we advise to dispose of this when leaving the property.

For more information, take a look at our prepayment section here. 

Did you find this information useful?