Can you smell gas or think you might have a gas leak?
- Open all doors and windows to let the gas escape.
- Check all your gas appliances are switched off.
- Call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999.
- Do not turn light switches on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones or any other electrical switches.
- Do not smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
If you are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance then call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999.
Local network operators are responsible for looking after the cables we use to supply your electricity. To report a power cut or a dangerous situation, you will need to contact the operator for your area - you can find their number on an old statement. However, before you phone them, it is worth checking a few things:
- Check your trip switch to make sure you don’t have a fault with your wiring or an appliance.
- Check if your neighbours are affected – if they are it’s more than likely there is a problem with the local network and you will need to contact your network operator.