Did you know that this year, Midcounties is celebrating 10 years of making a difference?
The Midcounties Co-operative Society was formed in 2005, when the West Midlands Society and the Oxford, Swindon and Gloucester Society merged to make one of the largest co-operative businesses in the UK.
Today, with over 504,000 members and profits of over £19m, we’re still one of the largest co-operatives in the UK, and we continue to promote our co-operative values and ethics in all that we do.
Co-operative Energy was established by the Midcounties Co-operative in 2010 as a response to the poor behaviours of the ‘Big 6’ energy companies and we couldn’t be prouder. The Midcounties values drive our policies of fair pricing and transparent service, and being a Co-operative that is owned by its customers ensures that we are responsive to their needs.
10 big differences in 10 fantastic years:
- We were awarded the Queen’s Award in 2015 for our social responsibility work over the last 10 years
- We made the Sunday Times Best 25 Big Companies to Work For list four years in a row (2011 -2014)
- We’ve been named Co-operative of the Year twice - the only co-op to achieve the double
- We created a co-operative choice for energy customers, which now serves over 245,000 customers
- Our childcare business has grown and cares for over 3,750 more children weekly than it did in 2005
- We have given £12m back to our communities over the last 10 years
- We have distributed £44m to our members over the last 10 years
- We have provided over 29,000 days of volunteering in the community over the last 10 years
- Our increase in recycling has prevented over 35,000 skips of waste from being sent to landfill
- We have saved enough energy to power the equivalent of 6,000 households through our ongoing energy saving efforts
Here’s to the next 10 years!