Return to all articles
With the nights drawing in and winter just around the corner, it’s nearing that time of year when we start to wrap up warm and reach for our thermostats. Unfortunately for most of us, this also means a potential rise in energy bills and a drain on our finances that could really be better spent elsewhere.
For those of us in rented accommodation or with limited disposable incomes, investing in roof insulation or external wall cladding might not be a feasible option. If you don’t feel you’re getting the most energy for your money, you could look into switching your energy provider, however there are a few simple household changes you can make first which will save you both energy and money. So, since we could all do with having a bit of extra cash over the festive season, here are our top tips for knocking £500 off your annual energy bill.
To give you a little extra motivation to keep your energy costs down this season, here’s a bit of inspiration for how you could spend your annual saving of £508…
- Cover your Netflix subscription for seven years.
- Two months’ worth of £60 weekly food shops.
- Two months travel around London using a zones 1-7 Oyster Card.
- 211 medium cappuccinos at Costa Coffee.
- Get fit with £20 gym membership for over two years.
- Splash out on a 43 inch Smart Ultra HD TV.
- Watch nine Manchester United home Premier League games from the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand.
- Get your hands on two Glastonbury tickets.
- Or, if you’re feeling extra generous, treat your family to an incredible Christmas this year.
Whatever you decide to spend your £508 on, just make sure it isn’t going to waste!
*The statistics used are averages and may be subjective depending on appliance model, size of household and energy provider.*