We are the only energy supplier to be owned by our customers.
Take control of your energy by becoming a member of The Midcounties Co-operative today, or read more about membership below.
What does membership involve?
As a Co-op Energy customer, you don’t have to become a member of The Midcounties Co-operative. But we think you’ll be missing out if you don’t. Here’s why:
Share the profits
In a co-operative business, all members get a share of the profits at the end of the year. Our members decide what percentage of the profits should be allocated to members, as well as how much should be reinvested into the business, and how much should go to the local community. You can use your profit share in one of four ways:
- Vouchers that can be redeemed in any of our stores in payment for goods
- Crediting it to your energy account
- Crediting it to your share account with The Midcounties Co-operative, where you will earn interest
- Donating it to a charity nominated by members of The Midcounties Co-operative.
The more points you earn as a customer, the bigger the share of profits you’ll get back. Points can be earned pro rata as you spend money on your bills, or as rewards for things like sending regular meter readings. As a member, you’ll also get to decide on the value of a point, depending on our profitability and prospects.
Democracy is a big part of being a member of a co-operative business. As a member, it’s your job to elect directors to the board of Midcounties, and help ensure that our business is governed responsibly.
Take control of your energy
As a member, you’ll regularly be given the opportunity to tell us what’s important to you, and how our business can improve. We’ll then try to act on your comments and ideas, to help build an energy business that works for you.
For more information, download our ‘Everything you need to know about membership’
How to become a member
You’ll be encouraged to become a member from the moment you sign up as a Co-op Energy customer (unless you ask us not to), because we think you should start enjoying the benefits straight away.
Membership costs just £1, and in return you will receive points that you can exchange for a share of the profits at the end of the year. Here’s how it all works:
- Tell us you want to become a member
- Pay your £1 joining fee (or ask us to deduct it from your first share of the profits)
- We’ll send you a membership card that you can use to earn points online and in store
- View your points balance online at any time
- At the end of the year, you’ll get a share of the profits. The final amount depends on the business performance and the board’s view of future trading projects.
If you choose, you can stop being a member at any time, so you will never be tied into any type of contract. View the full terms and conditions here.
“I’ve always liked the co-operative ethos – giving customers a voice and a say in how the business operates. The switch to The Co-operative Energy was pain-free and simple and we are really looking forward to seeing the savings we can make.”
Dr Tony Jeans, Cheltenham