How do I get a gas safety check?

Gas safety checks

When in use, gas appliances such as fires, boilers and cookers can release a poisonous gas called carbon monoxide – especially if they are improperly installed or if their condition has deteriorated over time. The Health and Safety Executive has produced a useful guide about gas safety, which you can download here

If you are an owner-occupier, you should consider installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Please contact your local council or a Gas Safe registered engineer for more information. The Co-operative Energy may also be able to provide a Gas Safety Check free of charge if you are in receipt of means tested benefits and any person living at your address is:

  • Under 18
  • Of pensionable age
  • Disabled
  • Chronically sick

Please contact us to check your eligibility.

If you live in rented accommodation then in most cases your landlord is responsible for providing a Gas Safety Certificate showing which appliances have been checked and when your home was last tested.